The Power of Advocates, Mentors, and Sponsors in Career and Leadership
What’s the difference between a mentor, advocate and sponsor, you ask?
Well, this week I have a very special guest who breaks down the difference between the three, offers strategies to help you find your biggest cheerleaders and advance your career and leadership journey.
My guest is Lenetra King, founder of Watch Me EXCEL®, a pioneering leadership development firm that provides Executive Coaching, Consulting and other services to hospitals, healthcare companies, higher education institutions and associations.
In this episode, we discuss her journey from leaving the corporate world to starting her own business, “Watch Me Excel.” We explore the challenges leaders face in communication and leadership, the importance of starting with the “why,” and balancing clear communication with fostering diversity and inclusivity.
Here’s what you can expect from the episode:
- Common communication challenges that leaders face and practical strategies to overcome them.
- The significance of starting with “why” and connecting authentically with your audience.
- Balancing clear communication with fostering inclusivity in your leadership approach.
- Distinguishing between mentors, sponsors, and advocates and how they contribute to career growth.
- Strategies for women in the workplace to overcome barriers and get noticed.
- Building a diverse network of mentors and sponsors for equity and career opportunities.
- How to address biases and systemic barriers hindering certain individuals from accessing support systems.
If you’d like to learn more from Lenetra, check out her book, “Unwritten Insights: A Career Playbook for Leaders of Color”. During our conversation, Lenetra highlighted the significance of Simon Sinek’s book “Start with Why”. This book encourages us to deeply understand the purpose behind our actions and messages.
Connect with Lenetra King:
Business instagram: https://www.instagram.com/watchmeexcel/